Are you envious of other people’s financial, social or family wealth? You analyse their situation and you reach the conclusion that these people are luckier than you, they are very intelligent, and they probably have exceptional qualities that you, on the other hand, do not have. You might be right. However, your analysis should not stop at that level. There is one element that is even more important to consider when you are thinking about success and it is the fact that these people have a better way, than most people do, to be appreciated by other people.
We all agree that their success is mostly due to who they are followed by what they do, and by the energy they display. Still, it is because of other people if they are successful because these people help them. Nowadays, it is almost impossible to reach success on our own. For example, if your business is doing well, it is because your clients trust you, your staff is behind you, and your partners are reliable.
We live in a world where other people occupy a prevailing place in our success story and where everything is linked to our capacity to be helped and appreciated by others. Ask yourself the following question: Are the people surrounding you eager to see you succeed or are they totally indifferent to your success? If you answer that a lot of people want you to succeed, then your chances to succeed are very strong. This level of appreciation is what I call your « Likeability Quotient » (L.Q.). Everyone has one but at different level. The good new is that if you want to, you can improve yours.
Here is a definition of the Likeability Quotient (L.Q.): « Level of happiness and well being that you arise in others ». Many studies state that people with a Likeability Quotient (L.Q.) higher than average have better chances to succeed at work, at home, or in any other activity. These studies also reveal that the contrary is also true. People who are unpleasant have a lot of difficulties to succeed.
Here are some suggestions for you if you want to increase your Likeability Quotient (L.Q.):
- Always be passionate and happy in all you do; at work, in your leisure or in your other activities. When you are dynamic, it shows, your joie de vivre expresses itself, and that is particularly appreciated by others.
- Show empathy. Be interested by other people. Listen to them carefully and show that you understand them. Make sure that your appreciation brings out the respect you have towards them. Give them all of your attention and be able to find qualities and positive elements in each of them.
- Make it your duty to help others. The more you help people, the more they will want to help you. The impact will be even greater if your help is directly related to your expertise.
- Always be sincere and honest. Be true. Do not be an actor because people hate hypocritical and dishonest people. Authenticity and sincerity are the most appreciated qualities.
- Be grateful. Take the time to thank people with special attentions.
Mr. Claude Brosseau, from the brokerage and general insurance office «Groupe Brosseau» and winner of the entrepreneur challenge organized by the« Jeune Chambre de commerce de Montréal», is a good example of someone with a high L.Q. Every time he meets someone, his main concern is to make sure that his interlocutor is happier after their meeting. He is, of course, passionate about insurance, but most of all, he is very generous. We can feel that his principal source of motivation is to help others, whether they are his client or not. He always listens carefully and he greatly respects other people. As a result, his success is better and growing every year.
There is a category of people with a selective L.Q., meaning that their L.Q. is high with some people and low with others. We can take the example of the salesperson who has a lot of success in his work because of his high L.Q. with his clients while, outside of work, he is a very unpleasant person. Therefore, his success will be limited to his business.
Starting today, take the decision to improve this aspect of your personality. Every time you communicate with someone, whoever that person may be, make sure that this person feels better because of your intervention. Remember that your success is directly proportional to the level of enthusiasm that you generate among the people discussing about you.
Finally, the more you develop your Likeability Quotient (QA), the more your personal and professional activities will improve.